Thursday, February 28, 2008

NYLON


On Valentines Day in 2005 I was one of the zillions of people visiting The Gates - Christo and Jeanne-Claude's most recent project, which was exhibited in Central Park. It wasn't one of their stronger pieces, but it *was* one of the most accessible, as others like
The Umbrellas, crossed remote terrain.

I grew up on Christo, as I watched Surrounded Islands (or as we called it *Pink Islands*) take place. I was 16 at the time and had just discovered the coolness and controversy of *art*. I can't remember how long it was in place... It wasn't long. But I do remember that despite the coolness factor, people in Miami were more concerned with how this art installation might negatively affected the marine life around those surrounded islands.

This past Tuesday was the television premier of "The Gates", an HBO series on Christo and Jeanne-Claude, chronicling the couple's 26-year effort to adorn Central Park's walkways with about 7,500 steel and vinyl portals... If you missed it, I'm sure (HBO Style) it will be on again, in rotation.

No comments: